Distribution center for grocery E-market (Architectural Thesis Project)
A "bazaar‟ or a marketplace is considered an enclosed marketplace or street store in which many kinds of goods are for sale. However, in the context of Bangladesh, these "bazaars‟ are community spaces where people meet and spend their time with acquaintances. The process of buying and selling forms a personal relationship with the local vendors and surrounding community members. This scenario is not noticeable in Dhaka city these days due to various reasons and to simplify the process of buying and selling, online shopping fulfillment centers find their place in various points all over Dhaka city. These fulfillment centers are otherwise recognized as order fulfillment storage warehouse which operates on the basis of a cycle of events and processes.
The precise niche in this project is online grocery shopping fulfillment center where the warehouse contains perishable grocery items and household goods. This project studies the differences between modern and traditional warehouse, space attributes of warehouse design, different types of warehouse architecture and warehouse design layouts.
Case studies and field surveys helped understand the warehouse layouts and processes in action. There are several diagrams and info-graphics in illustration form that have been provided to explain the various design stages. A table containing a list of all flammable, combustible and explosive goods have been provided to aid in "compartmentalizing‟- a fire safety method essential for every warehouse design. The recent fire incidents in Dhaka city rooted from negligence towards fire codes and rules set forth by the Bangladesh National Building Code.
A breakdown of all the studies have been compiled in my Warehouse design blog
For convenience, I here are direct links to all the Research topics with proper reference.
- Introduction to modern "Bazaar"
- Literature Synthesis and Typology of warehouses
- Why the 19th century warehouse did not sustain? History
- Case Study of- A warehouse with over 3000 orders a day
- Site Analysis of Tejgaon Industrial Area/ Development Trend of Tejgaon Industrial Area/ Number of plots and their floor area
- Defining site and its surroundings according to theories of Kevin Lynch/ Site Location/ Site Area etc.
- Site surroundings, Location of electric poles and existing site images
- Project Programme
- Difference between traditional and modern Warehousing
- Fundamentals of Modern Warehousing
- Warehouse building types
- Warehouse and the Industrial Revolution
- What is Industry 4.0?
- Storage efficiency with various handling methods
- Industrial truck (forklift) dimensions
- Autonomous Vehicles in warehouse logistics
- Industrial Pallets, Standard pallet patterns and Standard Pallet sizes
- Loading Bay sizes, planning and Layout criteria
- Planning for fire control and Fire compartmentalization
- Amenity and Hygiene/ Washing and toilet facilities/ workplace design considerations
- Rules from BNBC Part I
- Rules from BNBC Part II Fire Protection
- List of flammable items/ Combustible dust dangers in a grocery warehouse
- Rat proofing/ Termite proofing in industrial buildings
- Industrial Shelves
- Field Survey
- Design Documents: FAR Calculation and Building code (RAJUK)
- Concept info graphic, Massing diagram and Volume Analysis
Read the Next Article: Introduction to modern "Bazaar"
Read the Previous Article: Distribution center for grocery E-market
Link to Full portfolio: https://shawlin.net/blogs/architecture-portfolio